Tips on Designing a Marching Band Costume
The term marching band refers to a group of musicians who play outdoors on special occasions like a sporting event or as a display. These bands are colorfully dressed and help in lifting the spirits and keeping it up.
Here are tips you can bear in mind before choosing or designing a band costume:
- Conduct an extensive study of the available dresses and the companies that cater to creating costumes for marching bands. Numerous companies make costumes, and it is most advantageous if you do your homework and find out which of these companies offer the best services and choose accordingly.
- You can also check out a few books like The Marching Band handbook that gives you extensive knowledge of marching bands.
- It is always better if you take pointers from the members of the band on various aspects of designing a costume. It is still better if you select a dress that is brightly colored in the colors of the school or college so that your band is distinguished from the others.
- Accessorize with feathers and brightly colored helmets and hats that match your uniform. These aspects score more point with judges. The more innovative you are with the costumes he more point you get.
- Make sure that the uniforms fit all the members of the band. You can do this by taking individual measurements of the members, so none of them have to battle with extra small or large costumes.
- The most important part of the marching band is accuracy so every aspect of it should be accurate including the uniforms. The costumes should be crisp and neatly pressed to make a lasting impression with judges.
The hardest part of the costume will be putting the pieces together, meaning sewing the costumes. It’s best to find a local dressmaker to create the outfits or a club booster who will help with the pricing. Money for the uniforms can be raised through local fundraising campaigns, as well as marching band shows.
Showing all 16 results